If you settle for drinking water from the tap, you should be aware that you are drinking water that is filled with chemicals and bacteria.
One of the best things you can do for your health is to use clean water for drinking, cooking, and showering. If you want to ensure you always have access to pure and clean drinking water, one of the ways to do it is to use 3m Aqua-Pure water filters.
Why you should buy an Aqua-Pure water filter
The primary reason why you should buy a water filter is to give yourself access to safe drinking water at all times. Water treatment plants add chlorine, fluoride, and other chemicals to their water during the treatment method. Luckily, you can extract them if you have a water filter.
Not only will this water be safer and healthier but it will also taste better. There are many reasons why you shouldn’t settle for tap water and buy a filter:
- You will stop buying plastic water bottles. Owning a water filter instead of buying plastic water bottles is great for two reasons; it will help you save money and it will also help you protect the environment from plastic pollution.
- It will reduce the chances of getting skin conditions. Substances that can be found in unfiltered water such as chlorine, fluoride, and heavy metals can aggravate the skin and cause conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
You will have fewer plumbing issues. The chemicals and heavy metals that are found in unfiltered water can cause a lot of damage to your pipes and all your appliances that use water. When you use filtered water, you won’t have this issue.
How does an Aqua-Pure filter work?
Tap water is required to meet the standards that were set by the EPA. Unfortunately, according to experts, those standards are too low, and meeting them doesn’t mean tap water is safe to drink.
There are several methods Aqua-Pure filters use to clean water and remove contaminants from it:
- Mechanical or physical filtration. In this process, water is passed through a physical barrier such as a membrane or a screen. Since the contaminants are too big to go through the barrier, they are caught in the filter while the clean water passes through without any issues.
- Reverse osmosis. In this method, pressure is used to pass the water through a membrane that is semi-permeable. By doing this, a large number of contaminants are removed.
- Chemical filtration. When your filter uses chemicals, the water passes through an active substance that successfully removes the unwanted materials from the water.
The best way to choose the system that works for your home is to have your water professionally tested to see what contaminants you should get rid of. When you know this, you will also know what filtration method works best for you.
How long do Aqua-Pure filters last?
Just like most things, whatever water filter you choose will have an expiration date. When you purchase the Aqua-Pure filter, you will also receive product documentation that will provide you with instructions on when the filters in your system have to be changed.
There are two ways you can measure the lifespan of a water filter:
- Gallons. If your water filter needs to be replaced based on how many gallons it can purify before it can no longer do its job, the manufacturer will specify the exact number of gallons in the product documentation.
- Months. The other option is that the water filter will require a change after a certain number of months, which will also be specified in the product documentation. Pre-filters can last anywhere between three to six months, carbon filters up to a year, and post-filters should be changed every year or every two years.
However, it’s important to note that if your filter’s lifespan comes in gallons, you can also convert it to months. For example, a water filter that can purify up to 60 gallons has a lifespan of up to four months.
How do you clean Aqua-Pure water filters?
If you want your Aqua-Pure water filters to last as long as possible, you need to clean them regularly, at least once a year. The cleaning method will depend on the type of water filter you have.
But regardless of what type of filter you have, your first step is to cut the water supply. And don’t forget to always wear clean medical or rubber gloves.
Reverse osmosis filter
If you have a reverse osmosis filter, the cleaning process will look like this:
- Clean all of the water from the tank and filtration system and close the faucet that is attached.
- Remove the reverse osmosis membrane and the pre-filter.
- Sanitize your system with a chemical cleaner that was recommended by your manufacturer.
- Add your cleaning solution to the pre-filter housing and then open the bypass faucet to remove all build-up.
- Use the solution to wipe or wash your membrane and rinse it thoroughly so all the traces of the chemical product are removed.
Once you have cleaned and rinsed everything, you can reassemble your system and restart it.
Activated carbon filter
If you have an activated carbon/charcoal filter, the cleaning process will look like this:
- Pour half a gallon of room temperature clean water into a bucket.
- Slowly and carefully add two cups of muriatic acid into the water and stir it with a plastic stirrer continuously and consistently.
- Rinse off any debris and build-up from the filter with a hose and place it into the solution.
- Soak the filter in the solution for at least five days. During this time, make sure the solution stays at room temperature.
- After those five days, remove the filter and soak it in clean water for five minutes.
- Finally, rinse your filter off with a hose and reinstall it.
Where to buy Aqua-Pure water filters?
This depends on where you’re located.
- 3M Aqua-Pure whole house filter
- Aqua-Pure AP11S water filter housing kit complete
- Aqua-Pure 5 micron water filter
- Aqua-Pure replacement filter cartridge
Buying a whole house filter
There are many different types of Aqua-Pure water filters on the market, and when you’re trying to decide which one to get for your home, you need to consider a few things.
The first thing you should do is determine what harmful substances you need to remove from your water. The most common contaminants you can find in a municipal city water supply are sediment chemicals, chlorine, and hardness minerals.
But different areas can have different issues with their water supply, which is why we recommend you get your water tested to see what you need to look for in a water filter. You should also get your water tested even if you have a private well.
And finally, there are a few different factors you need to take into consideration when choosing your water filter:
- The flow rate. Flow rate is measured in gallons per minute or GMP, and it determines how much water you will be able to run. If you need a filter system for your entire house that will be able to handle all of your appliances, you need to have a flow rate of at least 10 GPM.
- The size of the filter. How big the filter is will decide its service interval, the pressure, and the amount of the water flow. The bigger your filter, the better performances you will see. For most homes, a good filter size would be 4.5" x 20".
- Port size. The size of the port has a big impact on water pressure and GPM. Ideally, your port should measure 1" in size. However, larger homes that require bigger filters might need a 1 1/2" port.
What filter size should I use?
If you have one to two bathrooms, a good fit for your home would be an Aqua-Pure dirt/rust filter with one of Aqua-Pure water filter cartridges like for instance the AP11T or AP101T.
On the other hand, if you have three to four bathrooms, a good fit for your home would be a cartridge dirt/rust filter like the AP12T or AP102T.
Everyone deserves to have clean and healthy water in their home. If you just settle for tap water, you’re endangering your health, creating plumbing issues, and much more. And all of that can be solved if you buy a high-quality Aqua-Pure filter.
Water filters are a great investment and once you taste one drop of filtered water, you won’t ever go back to drinking from the tap. So take a look at Aqua-Pure filters, choose the ideal filter for you, and enjoy the water in your home like never before.